Connecticut Bill of Sale Form – DMV CT Information

When you buy or sell a vehicle you should write a Bill of Sale. The Bill of Sale Form records specific transaction details. The State of Connecticut has some legal specific requirements about what a Bill of Sale must contain. In addition to completing a Bill of Sale Form, you must complete a title transfer with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Only a title transfer proves change of ownership.

The Connecticut DMV provides a state-approved, printable Bill of Sale Form, but also allows residents to create their own Bill of Sale if they choose.

The Connecticut DMV website provides the Bill of Sale Form H-31 for download. Buyers need the Bill of Sale for title transfers, but the Connecticut DMV recommends that sellers should keep copies for their records also.

The following information should generally appear on the Connecticut Bill of Sale Form:

– Name of the seller.
– Address of the seller.
– Name of the buyer.
– Address of the buyer.
– Complete vehicle description, including Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), make, model, year.
– Hull identification number (for vessels and you also must know where the vessel was last numbered).
– Vehicle body style (for vehicles) or length (for vessels).
– Vehicle odometer reading at the time of sale.
– The sale price.
– Date of sale.
– Signature of the seller and date signed.

Click here to download and print a generic Connecticut Bill of Sale Form – while the state-specific Bill of Sale doesn’t ask for the buyer’s signature on the form, the Connecticut DMV DOES REQUIRE the buyer to sign any other Bill of Sale version including the generic one above.

Very important to know that Federal and State law require that you state the mileage upon transfer of ownership. Failure to complete or providing a false statement may result in fines and/or imprisonment!

To complete an odometer disclosure statement use this federal form: Connecticut Odometer Disclosure Statement Form

If your Bill of Sale becomes lost, damaged, or if you decide you want one on record you can order a replacement Bill of Sale by printing a Title Records Request Form J-23T.

As a Seller you should complete and sign the title and give the title to the buyer and complete and sign the Bill of Sale with the buyer. The buyer needs the Bill of Sale to transfer the title, but you can keep a copy for your own records too.

The seller has to remove the license plates because they stay with the seller unless or until the registration is canceled. The liability insurance on the vehicle should be maintained until the registration is canceled. After the registration is canceled you return your license plates.

Complete the state’s APPLICATION FOR ONE YEAR REFUND ON TWO YEAR REGISTRATION if you’re due for a refund.

In order to qualify for a refund, registrations must be cancelled with at least one FULL YEAR remaining in the registration period as of the date of cancellation. The refund is one-half of the registration fee only. It does not include other fees. All registration refund applications must be submitted prior to the expiration of the registration period. If you have not cancelled your registration, DMV will cancel your registration and process the refund.

You can’t sell your vehicle without a title unless it is over 20 years old. To request the form for a replacement certificate of title use this online Application for Replacement Certificate of Title and Ownership Transfer in Absence of Title Form H-6B.

You don’t need a special salvage vehicle Bill of Sale to title and register a salvaged vehicle. However, the vehicle must pass a safety inspection before you can title and register it, and inspection agencies require receipts for every major component replacement part. These receipts aren’t Bill of Sale Forms but they are actual receipts of purchases.

Download the state’s Salvage Inspection Information Sheets Form B-256 for a checklist of all paperwork required for titling and registering salvage vehicles. Once you title a salvaged vehicle, you can register it as your own or you can sell it. If you sell it, you must provide the buyer with a Bill of Sale.

As a buyer you can’t drive the vehicle without the license plates. Connecticut license plates stay with the driver, so the previous owner will keep the plates.

The buyer must title and register the vehicle and obtain plates before he/she can drive it. Until the buyer does that the car can be left at the previous owner’s or you can ask the previous owner to drive the vehicle to your residence.

The buyer should check that the title and the Bill of Sale are entirely completed. The buyer should look at the seller’s identification and make sure that the name matches the title and the Bill of Sale. Also make sure every name on the title has signed the title and the Bill of Sale, unless the names are joined by “OR”.

The buyer should be prepared for a safety and emissions inspection also if the Connecticut DMV will ask you to do that.

For more information go to State of Connecticut – Department of Motor Vehicles

The mission of the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles is to promote and advance public Safety, Security and Satisfaction through the regulation of drivers, their motor vehicles and certain motor vehicle-related businesses.