Nevada Bill of Sale Form for Vehicles

In the State of Nevada the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires you to complete a Bill of Sale form whenever you transfer, sell or buy a vehicle.

The Bill of Sale form acts as a legal contract between the seller and the buyer and it records the transaction. For more details read below about this form.

To be valid the following details need to appear on the Nevada Bill of Sale form:

  • The value or price of the vehicle
  • Name(s), details and address of the buyer(s)
  • Buyer’s signature and date
  • Vehicle description, including Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Name and address of the seller
  • Seller’s Signature and date

Also the Nevada law requires you to keep your plates and either use them on another vehicle or turn them in for cancellation within 30 days of the sale. See Plate Surrender/Registration procedure below as well.

Nevada Bill of Sale Form

Below you can find and download the latest Bill of Sale Form for 2024:

As a vehicle seller you must complete and keep a Nevada Bill of Sale (Form VP 104) as a record of the sale. Please keep this record for five years.

Nevada Bill of Sale Form

We should mention that a Bill of Sale releases interest in a vehicle but a Certificate of Title or other ownership documents must accompany the Bill of Sale form.

How to fill out the Nevada Bill of Sale Form

The Nevada Bill of Sale Form VP 104 is composed of three sections. Below you can learn how to complete this state-approved form:

Section 1 of the Nevada Bill of Sale

The first section contains first instructions for correctly completing the form. So you have to complete first the selling price of the vehicle. For this purpose you need to complete the price of the vehicle. Here we used as an example a price of $9,500.00. So you need to fill out: In consideration of the total sum of Nine Thousand Five Hundred and 00/100 dollars. Then you need to also enter the sum of $9,500.00.

Nevada Bill of Sale Form section
Section 1 of the Nevada Bill of Sale Form

Section 2 of the Nevada Bill of Sale

The second section contains the new owner(s) information. In the case there are more than two new owners then complete and attach an additional Bill of Sale (VP104) form. Indicate “AND” or “OR” between second and third owners if it’s the case.

In most of the cases there will be only one new owner so the example below reflects this scenario. So complete the Full Legal Name of 1st Buyer. The buyer’s name must be PRINTED. This means to use only Capital Letters to write BUYER’S NAME. Then complete an ID number or date of birth of the buyer. Following complete the physical and mailing addresses of the buyer. This includes the buyer’s city, state and ZIP code.

Next complete buyer’s signature. Please note that only one signature is required even if “AND” appears between the new owner’s names. Lastly complete the signing date, buyer’s phone number and email:

Nevada Bill of Sale Form section
Section 2 of the Nevada Bill of Sale Form

Section 3 of the Nevada Bill of Sale

The third section contains the vehicle, lien and seller information. First complete the VIN or Vehicle Identification Number, Year, Make, Model and Body type. Then you may check the box for Off-Highway Vehicle Only.

Next you may check if this vehicle has been Rebuilt as the term is defined in NRS 482.098. Following you must complete if the buyer certifies Lien in favor of someone. However if no liens exist, write the word “NONE” on the “Lien in favor of” line.

Then complete the Seller information. This means the full name of the seller. The name must be PRINTED – this means to use only Capital Letters to write SELLER’S NAME. Following complete an ID number or date of birth of the seller. Next complete seller’s mailing Address, including city, state and ZIP code.

Finally complete seller’s signature and signing date:

Nevada Bill of Sale Form section
Section 3 of the Nevada Bill of Sale Form

Please note that you can fill out this Bill of Sale form by hand. However don’t forget to use a pen with blue or black ink and not a pencil. If you fill out this form on your device (phone, tablet, computer) this form is a fillable PDF that works best with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Selling a Vehicle in Nevada

Sellers of a vehicle should:

If you wish to transfer the plates to the buyer, for example a classic car, you may complete a License Plate Release (Form SP 67). Please note that registration fee credits will not transfer to the buyer.

Eventually if you have left the plates on a vehicle you sold, you may complete a Lost, Stolen or Mutilated License Plate Affidavit (Form VP 202). This must be notarized or signed in person at the DMV.

Nevertheless you must provide a properly signed-off title to the buyer in private party sales, family sales or gifts. Any loan or other lien must be satisfied first.

If the title says ‘person 1’ AND ‘person 2’, both parties must sign it. However if the title says ‘person 1’ OR ‘person 2’, either party can sign without the other.

In the unfortunate case you do not have a title, you (or the owner of record) will have to apply for a duplicate from the state where the vehicle was last titled.

The only exception is if the vehicle was

  1. last titled in Nevada;
  2. is more than 9 model years old and
  3. has no liens or the owner of record has a lien release, the buyer and owner of record can then complete:
  4. an Application for Duplicate Title (Form VP 012) and
  5. a Bill of Sale to transfer ownership. If the vehicle is a 9 years old or newer model, you must obtain an actual title to comply with federal odometer disclosure laws.

More on Selling a Vehicle in Nevada

The Bill of Sale and Online Sale Notification are a seller’s proof that you sold the vehicle. This is particularly important in case the vehicle is abandoned. If you complete the online notification, the new owner’s information you enter will be provided to wreckers and tow car operators in the event the vehicle is abandoned. NRS 706.4477 states it is presumed the registered owner of a vehicle is solely responsible for the cost of removal and storage for the vehicle if abandoned.

If the seller has a loan or lease on the vehicle, this must be satisfied and the lien holder or lessor must deliver the title before the vehicle can be sold. This can be a lengthy process if the title has been misplaced or is being held by an out-of-state lender or lessor. Subleasing and “take over payments” arrangements are illegal.

If there is a private arrangement for payments or the seller wishes to retain an interest in the vehicle for any reason, the seller may become a lien holder on the vehicle by completing the lien holder section of the title.

Buying a Vehicle in Nevada

If you buy a vehicle from a private party or you receive a vehicle as a gift, you must have a properly signed-off title to register the vehicle and transfer ownership in your name. A Bill of Sale by itself is not acceptable. If the seller does not have a title, the owner of record will have to apply for a duplicate from the state where the vehicle was last titled.

Particularly in Nevada the buyer is responsible for emission inspections. The vehicle buyer is also responsible for obtaining insurance and a movement permit to legally drive the vehicle on public streets.

If the buyer is obtaining outside financing, most financial institutions will require the title. The institution will submit the title to DMV, become a lien holder and receive the new title. In this case, the security agreement from a licensed financial institution can take the place of a title for registration.

For a history check you can use the Vehicle Identification Number to query VIN checking services.

The vehicle buyer must obtain insurance and a movement permit to drive the vehicle on public streets. Present the signed-off title or other proof of ownership at a DMV office for a movement permit.

More on Buying a Vehicle in Nevada

The buyer must register the vehicle at a DMV office within 30 days. If the vehicle has never been registered or titled in Nevada, you must have a VIN inspection completed at the DMV. At larger offices, drive to the Inspection Station outside the main office first. You may also have a law enforcement officer complete the Vehicle Inspection Certificate (Form VP 015).

You must have the following documents to register and title the vehicle:

  • Title, or a security agreement from a financial institution;
  • Nevada Evidence of Insurance Card;
  • Nevada Emission Vehicle Inspection Report if required;
  • Vehicle Identification Number Inspection if required
  • Application for Vehicle Registration (Form VP 222)
Odometer Disclosure Statement in Nevada

An odometer reading is necessary for all vehicle registrations except for Trailers, Motorcycles, and Mopeds. It is very important to have your reading available before proceeding to registration!

View details about the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles

For more information go to Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles.

The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles mission and vision is to modernize and reinvent DMV services through technology, innovation, customer service and training while guarding against fraud and protecting the driving public through licensing and intervention practices while ensuring privacy protection of DMV records.