Wisconsin Bill of Sale Form – DMV WI

In the State of Wisconsin a Bill of Sale Form is not required but it’s recommended to complete one in any used vehicle transaction because a Bill of Sale serves as a legal receipt from the buyer to the seller documenting both the change in ownership and the purchase price.

The following information should appear on the Wisconsin Bill of Sale Form:

– Name and address of the seller.
– Name and address of the buyer.
– Complete vehicle description, including Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), make, model, year.
– Vehicle odometer reading at the time of sale.
– Date of sale.
– Signature of the seller and the buyer.

Click here to download and print a Wisconsin Bill of Sale Form and Wisconsin Bill of Sale Form in Spanish.

Before you sell a vehicle in Wisconsin, you must have a title in your name, even if you have never driven the vehicle. If you have lost your title you need to Replace the title.

Never sign your title or give it to anyone until you have been paid for the vehicle!

Once you’ve​​ sold the vehicle, you must do the following:

– Complete seller notification if it was a private sale from one individual to another individual.
– Sign and date the title in the area for the signature of the selling owner or owners. If the title shows more than one owner and the names are separated by the word “and,” all owners shown must sign. If the word “or” separates the names, any of the owners shown may sign. If you lost the original title you will have to apply for a replacement title. Sign the replacement and give it to the buyer – even if you find the original. The original becomes invalid when a replacement title is issued.
– Fill in the vehicle odometer mileage statement on the title. This is required under federal law.
– Complete the brand disclosure area on the title (if applicable).
– Fill in the selling price on the title. The Department of Revenue checks titles and investigates suspiciously low sale prices.
– Fill in the name and address of the buyer or buyers on the title.
– If there is a lien listed on the title, provide the buyer with a lien release document from your lien holder; the buyer will need both documents to get a title.
– Remove the license plates from the vehicle. You may transfer them to another vehicle you own. If the vehicle is a truck registered at 10,000 pounds or more, a farm truck registered at 16,000 pounds or more, a moped, a trailer or a recreational vehicle trailer, the license plates stay with the vehicle and do not need to be removed.
– If you wish to have a record of the sale, you may also complete the Instructions for Selling a Vehicle Form MV2928 – Wisconsin Bill of Sale Form and Wisconsin Bill of Sale Form in Spanish. The Bill of Sale is provided for your convenience, it is not a required form. You may keep a copy with your records, and make a copy for the buyer as documentation of the sale.

If your vehicle is less than 10 model years old, or is otherwise not exempt, write in the odometer reading – even if you sell to a family member. The current calendar year minus your vehicle’s model year equals your vehicle’s age. The odometer reading is the number of miles on the vehicle, not on the engine (even if the engine is newer than the rest of the vehicle). Write the miles in the space provided on the title and show whether the miles are:

Actual = The odometer has always worked properly and recorded all miles the vehicle has traveled.
Not Actual = The odometer statement was not filled out by the owner at the time of sale; the odometer was replaced and set at zero because of a repair; the odometer stopped working and the vehicle was driven more than 30 days before repair; or, the odometer numbers were turned back.
In Excess of Mechanical Limits = The odometer showed 99,999 miles and turned to zero, instead of to 100,000.
Note: Only 6-digit odometers can record more than 100,000 miles. Don’t record tenths of miles on the title.

If you sell your vehicle and your plates aren’t expired, you can transfer them to a vehicle of the same type that is titled to you, your spouse, or same sex domestic partner. You can’t transfer your plates to the buyer – even if it’s another family member. If you don’t use the plates, you can’t get a refund for any remaining registration time.

If you sell your vehicle as junk, and you don’t want the vehicle to be driven again, write the word “Junk” across the title before you give it to the buyer or salvage dealer.

If you lost your title, you don’t need a replacement title to junk the vehicle. You can show the certificate of vehicle registration or Confirmation of Ownership as proof you own the vehicle, and sign a junk bill of sale.

Note: Once a vehicle is junked, it can never be titled or licensed again, even if someone repairs or restores it.

For more information about selling your vehicle, contact (608) 266-1466 or [email protected].

Buy from a licensed Wisconsin dealer and you’re protected by Wisconsin’s motor vehicle trade practice law. Dealers follow the law when they advertise, display, and sell vehicles. You won’t get the same protection if you buy from a private party!

Dealers use the “purchase contract” form when selling cars. Read and understand the contract before you sign. Once you and the dealer sign the offer, it becomes a binding contract. The dealer can’t raise the price or sell the car to anyone else. You can’t cancel the contract without a penalty!

For more information go to State of Wisconsin – Wisconsin Department of Transportation – Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) was officially established in 1967 by combining formerly independent agencies and the Department of Motor Vehicles (which included the State Highway Commission, State Aeronautics Commission and State Patrol).

WisDOT supports all forms of transportation. The department is responsible for planning, building and maintaining Wisconsin’s network of state highways and Interstate highway system. The department shares the costs of building and operating county and local transportation systems – from highways to public transit and other modes. WisDOT plans, promotes and financially supports statewide air, rail and water transportation, as well as bicycle and pedestrian facilities.

Sharing is Caring!